02-18-18 group discussion
Talk about a time when somebody stood up or risked for you, whether you were
there or not. How did it feel? How did you feel about them whether you
experienced it or heard what had happened?
John 3.1-18 (Specifically v1-3,16-18)
1 Samuel 20.28-42 (Specifically v31-33, 42)
Nicodemus risked, stood, spoke and took heat for Jesus. We are all inspired by
that. According to the Bible we bear the image of God. We are like him. WHO is
God? In other words, WHO did Nicodemus reflect in the story? Talk about whether
you see God as one who risks, stands, speaks and takes heat or not. Talk about
why you do or don’t see God this way.
In light of this story, WHAT are we challenged to do or change or say in our
relationships? Is there a friendship in which we are called to have someone’s back
in the way we have not? When we think about doing this, WHAT are we afraid of?
WHY are we stirred by what Nicodemus did? WHY do we love when people stand
up for us? Even if we are nervous doing it, WHY does it feel so good when we
stand up for other people? WHY did God stand up and take heat for us on the
HOW practically and specifically are we to do what Nicodemus did? HOW does
this look in our lives, relationships and friendships? Share one very practical way
that you are feeling prompted by the Spirit to stand speak, or risk on behalf of
someone you have sworn friendship to. (You could include a spouse, girlfriend or
boyfriend, extended family member or one of your kids.)
On the cross, God in Christ risked, stood, hung, and took heat for us his friends.
Think about that all week. Begin every morning thinking about that. Ask, what
does it look like to live with our friends and even our enemies in light of the story
of the cross?
- Pray that any false views of who God is would be replaced with the truth.
- Pray to find friendships that are life-giving.
- Pray for forgiveness for not standing or speaking when called to do so.
- Pray that God would break off specific fear that keeps us from standing or
- Pray to forgive those that have went quiet on us in our time of need.
- Prayer to enter the kingdom and become a friend of God and others.
- Pray that God would fill you with his spirit that I might be like him.
- Pray for specifically how God is calling you to live this out.